Monday, May 9, 2016

Red and Green It Must Be Christmas

On Saturday morning I went out to my photoblind in the Little Lake Valley to do some bird photography. I wasn't in any big hurry because it was overcast and cloudy and looked like there was going to be good lighting for most of the day. I restocked the bird feeders, put up a green perch and then settled into the blind for a wait. It didn't take long until the House Finches returned. I photographed one House Finch after another. Suddenly there was a flash of bright yellow! An American Goldfinch came in. I quickly refocused where it was and just as I depressed the shutter it took off. Aaaargh I missed it! After that it was red and green for the rest of the morning as no other birds except House Finches made any kind of a showing. When I returned home I edited the images and these two were my favorites. I really like the quizzical turn of the birds head on the single House Finch and I like the interaction between the pair of birds. God's blessings upon your week, chris Both images were created with a Canon 7D anda Canon 100-400 IS. AV mode, ISO 800, F 13.0 at 1/200th of a sec on the single bird. For the pair it was F11.0 at 1/200th of a sec. Fill flash with a Canon 550EX was used on both images as well.

2 comments:

  1. Missing them is the story of my experience most times. :-) Yes, love that second image where the one is looking like that at the other that seems to be scolding it.

    ReplyDelete