Thursday, August 20, 2015

Leapin' Lizards

Coming from a place in Northern California where the biggest lizards are typically eight to ten inches long I was fascinated with the iguanas of Costa Rica which can be quite large. They have adapted well to their environment and can be found in parking lots, at the beach and on roof tops. They can also frequently can be seen sunning or running across the roads. Most of the time they appear to be slow and sluggish but that is quite deceiving as they can move like lightning when they want to. I discovered this numerous times when I tried to get close to the local resident iguana at the villa we rented. It would sit on the driveway next to a drain. Any time I made a move to get closer it would dive down into the drain in a flash. Some of the smaller green iguanas were quite approachable and I captured some pretty nice images of them. I got a great close up portrait of one of the bigger ones by crawling on my belly across a parking lot. I did photograph one red faced lizard that I'm working on getting an ID for. Enjoy the images and God bless, chris

2 comments:

  1. I think your red-faced lizard is Sceloporus variabilis. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so very much for the help Caleb as I was having difficulty in finding it.

    ReplyDelete