Saturday, June 20, 2015

On Guard and On Diplay

With little help you can get some great hummingbird images by putting up a perch for them to land on. Because hummingbirds are very territorial if you place an open perch above a feeder often times one of them will use it to defend the feeder. That is what I did this afternoon. I placed a small branch from a Madrone tree right above and behind the feeder when looking at it from my photoblind. That way the hummingbird would be looking towards the feeder and my blind as well in the process of defending the feeder. I had many opportunities to photograph this male Anna's Hummingbird as time and again it landed on the Madrone branch and put on a display for all to see that this was his feeder. For the second image I moved my photoblind as close as I could to the perch. The hummingbirds were a bit confused for a few minutes as I moved the blind while I was still in it. They were probably wondering what in the world was going on. May you have a blessed day tomorrow, chris Image created with a Canon 7D and a Canon 100-400 IS lens. Exposures varied. if you are interested in getting started with hummingbird photography please check out chapter six of my book, "Secrets of Backyard Bird Photography". It is available from most online book sellers.http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Backyard-Photography-Chris-Hansen/dp/1937538559

No comments:

Post a Comment