Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Chickadee Challenge

Recently someone commented to me as they were looking at one of my chickadee images that the reason I get so many good bird images is because of the big telephoto lens I use. While I will admit that a telephoto lens is a big help it has more to do with using a good bird set up and field craft to create great bird images. To prove this point I challenged myself to use some old photography equipment I had lying around to photograph some chickadees. I used an old Canon Rebel XT. This is an entry model DSLR that was made in 2005. I mounted on it a dented Canon 28-80 zoom made in 1990. To top it off I used a 2GB San Disk Card. Nothing top of the line here. This is all ancient stuff by modern digital standards. In addition I promised myself no cropping of the image or undo Photoshop work on the final images. After choosing my equipment I went out into the front yard and created a nice set up to photograph some chickadees. This was the key to the creation of some beautiful images. I sat in the blind for about forty-five minutes photographing Chestnut Backed Chickadees. I came back in and then photographed the camera and lens that I had used and processed my bird images. I had three of them that I really liked. Take a look! God's love and blessings to all, chris All images cretead with a Canon Rebel XT, Canon 28-80 at 80mm. AV mode,ISO 400, F 5.6 shutter speed varied but was around 1/100th of a sec. Manfrotto 055PROBX tripod and an 3055 Bogen ballhead. If you are interested learning more about bird photography like this please check out my new book. "Secrets of Backyard Bird Photography" on Amazon and other online book sellers. http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Backyard-Photography-Chris-Hansen/dp/1937538559

2 comments:

  1. Outstanding photo shots Chris, it goes to show that patients is a virtue and so is the right location. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, Marie Flutterby. I do have a lot of patience!

    ReplyDelete