Friday, May 2, 2014

Stalking Yellow Headed Blackbirds

This morning I was out of the house by five and I was on the waters of Clearlake by six thirty. I really wanted to photograph some Yellow Headed Blackbirds. The last time I was at the lake it was far to windy for my kayak. Today there was a slight breeze and it was a bit chilly early in the morning but other than that it ended up being a beautiful day. I found the little guys as soon as I exited the mouth of the harbor. Yellow Heads like to nest in the bulrushes over deeper water. They are colonial nesters so there were plenty of them about announcing their territories. The best technique was to find one that was relatively in the open, point the kayak in that direction then get a little speed up and drift towards them. As long as the approach was slow enough it didn't bother them to have me ten or fifteen feet away. I had a great time watching and photographing them and some other critters as well. The ride home was gorgeous as there are plenty of wildflowers in bloom right now amidst the grass that is already slowly starting to turn a golden brown. God's love to all, chris Camera Equipment Used- Canon 7D, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens,Bogen 3055 Ballhead with a custom camera support. Camera Settings- AV mode, ISO 400,F stop and a shutter speed varied. All photography was done from a Native Ultimate 14.5 Kayak

No comments:

Post a Comment