Friday, May 30, 2014

Never Stop Learning

I love learning new things. This morning I was cleaning out the mailbox on my computer by responding to emails and deleting spam when I came across the Shutterbug eNewsletter. I clicked on it and quickly scanned it for items of interest. A tutorial by Jim Zuckerman caught my eye. "Soap in a Frame". Hmnn... that sounds interesting. Anything macro and I'm usually down for it. I quickly read through it and decided to give it a try. It involves photographing soap film stretched across a frame made of wire though you could probably use something else. The soap is illuminated by a flash or a bright light diffused by some white diffusion material. I used a large soft box which seemed to work pretty well. It was pretty challenging to get the reflection of the softbox onto the soap film for each image and get the focus sharp. After many failed attempts I figured it out. I love the results. Thank you Jim for a fine tutorial. http://www.shutterbug.com/content/soap-frame-color-light-and-surface God's light and love to all, chris Camera equipment used- Canon 7D with a Canon 100-400 IS lens and a 36mm extension tube for close focusing. For Lighting I used an Alien Bees 1600 with a 30 x 60 Soft box mounted to it. Camera Settings- Manual, ISO 200, F16,0 at 1/200th of a sec.

2 comments:

  1. That is soo cool, Chris! It looks like something from the '60s. Did you finish your book yet? Is it ready for distribution? Love your work!! May the Lord richly bless your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, It is kind of retro looking isn't it? Thank you for asking about my book. The book is finished and will be released on Oct 1st. It is currently available for preorder on Amazon and a couple of other book sellers. It's pretty exciting to have it coming out. Thank you for the blessing. God has been good to me.

    http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Backyard-Photography-Chris-Hansen/dp/1937538559

    ReplyDelete