Saturday, February 22, 2014

Chasing Elusive Mountain Quail

One of the most difficult birds for me to photograph in my backyard are the Mountain Quail. There aren't very many of them and they are are extremely skittish. This morning I was up bright and early. I made sure the dogs and cats were secure. Then I headed out into the backyard and restocked the bird feeders. As I was pouring out the sunflower seed into the feeder I could hear the feeding call of the quail coming down the ridge top. I hurried into the blind and I'm glad I did. Less than two minutes later a Mountain Quail popped out onto the corner of the patio from the edge of the yard. A few minutes later two more came out. They fed in circles all around the feeder until one of them jumped up onto a mossy branch leading to the feeder. It stopped several times on the way up to the feeder allowing me to captures some beautiful images in the early morning light. This one was my favorite. God's blessings upon your day, chris
Camera Equipment Used- Canon 7D, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens @170 mm, Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod with a 3055 Ballhead. Camera Settings- AV mode, ISO 400, F5.0,Shutter speed 1/25th of a sec.

2 comments:

  1. They are pretty birds. I had the privilege today of watching 3 male cardinals fighting over territory (or a female, though I didn't see one present).. Anyway, the images you capture are gorgeous and helps us to appreciate God and His creation all the more. So glad you decided to share your talent as a photographer with us. Keep up the good work!! :-) By the way, how's the book coming along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you dropped in for a look, Barb.Thank you so much for your comment. That means a lot to me. I do wish we had Cardinals out here! Those guys must have been fun to watch. The book is coming along really nicely. I' ll have a big announcement regarding my book in a couple of weeks.

      God's blessings,

      chris

      Delete