Saturday, July 7, 2012

Gray Fox



I heard the fox barking as soon as I got out of the pickup. Sporadically during spring I have been hearing the short, harsh bark of a fox somewhere up the hillside from my photoblind on the Burris Ranch. This morning though it sounded closer. I cautiously made my way up the hill still hearing barks now and then. When I got to the gate I slowly scanned the area beyond the fence from the junkyard. Finally I caught some movement near an old pick up bed. The fox was sitting there looking my way trying to figure out what sort of creature I was. This morning before heading out the door I had randomly grabbed camouflage shorts, shirt and jacket. Not attire I wear all of the time. Finally it figured out I was human and took off. Quickly I made a few squealing sounds with my mouth. The fox stopped dead in its tracks and came back close to where it was before. I took a few images slowly working my way forward. Finally it had enough and it dove under the pickup bed and that was the last I saw of it. Maybe it was denning under there. I'll have to keep a closer eye on that area in the future. As soon as I finished with the fox I looked down by my feet and saw a section of shed skin from a large rattlesnake. Something else I had better keep a wary eye out for.

God's precious love and blessings to all,

chris

10 comments:

  1. Great composition on the fox photos. Great capture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Brian. Finding the fox that morning was a bit of wonderful luck.

      Delete
  2. Parabéns pelas belíssimas fotos!!! Grande sensibilidade e talento! Utilizei algumas ( com os devidos créditos) com os meus alunos . Sou coordenadora da EJA ( Educação de jovens e adultos) e criamos um blog onde divulgamos o nosso trabalho ( http://serejaseculoxxi.blogspot.com.br/). Um abraço , Cristina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you liked them and are sharing it with your students. Sharing is one of the best compliments you can give to a photographer. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. What type of camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aubrey, My primary camera is a Canon 50D. For most wildlife images I use a Canon 100-400 IS lens.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful shots! specially from the fox!
    greetings Trijntje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Trijntje for such a nice compliment.

      Delete
  5. That´s not easy to catch a Fox, they are very carefull and very alert,aslong as you dont move,but when you move
    it´s over and they start running, hiding somewhere.
    Nice Picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you magicworker. ou are right . Unless foxes are habitualized to people they take off as soon as you move.

      Delete