Friday, June 22, 2012

Moth or Butterfly?

Today it is raining outside. I was going to go photograph birds out at the ranch but I was undecided.I ended up at home just hanging out. This morning I photographed a moth on our back window. How did I know it was a moth? Some of you already know the answer to this. The majority of moths have unclubbed antenna. Moth's antenna tend to be feathered and unclubbed.Moths tend to be more drab in color whereas butterflys are more colorful. Butterflys fly mostly during the day and moths typically at night. As always there are a few exceptions to the rule and this is just an overall general statement. Here is a Painted Lady Butterfly so you can see the difference in the antennae. God's love and blessings to all, chris

6 comments:

  1. Nice pictures!! I recently took some pictures of moths - a Luna, Cercropia and some Sphinx - I had to look up the names but found them facinating

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow taking pictures of them are difficult. you have done justice to it sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. northernbliss those are some beautiful moths to photograph. I would love to see more of them around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for the compliments Mas Huda and Raghavendra. I really appreciate you stopping in and taking the time to leave comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ,Vince. I appreciate the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete