Thursday, August 12, 2010

Playing With Scorpions



Scorpions have always fascinated me. They are such an incredible ,improbable looking creature. Where I live up on the North Coast they are commonly found in woodpiles and under things like boards and trash cans. Under my trash can is where I found this one.



When I worked as a middle school teacher we used to take a three day outdoor education class. One of the activities we always included was an insect unit where the students would gather and identify insects. It always amazed me that some of the kids would capture scorpions by grabbing them by the stinger. I've never gotten up the nerve to do that. Something about that sharp stinger just makes me not want to do that.




Today I got up early and created a simple set up so I could photograph the little critter in natural light from the window.
I photograaphed it first on a rock and then I simplified it even further by using a sweep of tagboard. Let me know what you think of the result.

God's blessings to all,

chris

No comments:

Post a Comment